1. L, how old are you today? Five!
2. How does it feel to be five? Fun! I always wanted to be five, mama.
3. Why? Because. Five is fun and it's my favorite number. Mom, could anyone turn a google?! I don't think so.
4. I think you will like being five, don't you? Yes, because I get to open presents!
5. What are the most important things you've learned in life so far? Uh, about God. And how to clean my room and pick up my trash.
6. How do you think you're different from a year ago? I'm bigger. But I'm not tall enough to reach space. Only rocket ships can do that! But I feel bigger than five. I feel this many! (Holds up ten fingers.)
7. What's your favorite thing about having a birthday? Presents. Celebrating with my family.
8. Do you have any nicknames? Rex.
9. What do you think of your school? It's so much fun, I just love to go there. We play and do cooking class.
10. Who's your best friend? Jordan.
11. What do you like learning about? About ice. Very cold ice. In the North Pole. And nature. And airplanes.
12. What's your favorite Bible story? Jesus dying on the cross. Oh, and David too.
13. Who's your favorite person in the Bible? Joseph and Jesus and David.
14. What do you want to be when you grow up? A person who jumps off mountains with a rope and rescues people.
15. Tell me about our family. It has A-A (L's nickname for his older brother) and No-No (his nickname for his younger brother, because of the frequency with which we use that phrase with him!) and Mommy and Mike.
Mike? Oh, I mean Daddy.
16. What do you like about having brothers? They are fun, and funny and silly too. But I don't care for it when they bother me. Or when A breathes on me.
17. What is something that Mommy always says to you? Clean your room! And be careful!
18. What is something that Daddy always says? Take a shower. And he tells me and my brothers that we're funny.
19. What's your favorite toy? Lightning McQueen.
20. What's your favorite place to go? America!
21. What do you love to do? Pretend to fly airplanes and play with Legos.
22. What's your favorite book? Clifford.
23. What would be the best thing someone could give you? A lot of chocolate chips.
24. If you had a whole day to do anything you wanted, what would you do? Fly airplanes and ride on trains.
25. Do you think you'll ever get married? No. Actually, I'm already married to Chloe. We burped in the courtyard and then we were married!
26. Well, if you ever get married for real, how old do you think you will be? Um, 65. And I'll have 46 kids. And they will all have to share ONE bathroom!
27. What's your favorite food? Cake! Not nut cake. A chocolate cake.
28. What are you scared of? Nothing. I'm brave.
29. What makes you happy? Cake! But not nuts. They make me feel bad.
30. Anything else you'd like to say? I love you, Mommy. I love you deeper than the ocean and higher than Taipei 101. (The tallest building in Taiwan. Be still my heart!)
31. Anything else you'd like to add? Happy birthday, L!
Thanks for the interview, L!
See you here at the same time next year!
Yes, when you turn six!
But first we have to have cake and presents for my number five birthday. And it takes a long time to turn six, Mommy.
Yep, a whole long year!
(But, oh, not nearly long enough. Slow down a little bit, time. Slow down.)